Is Early Notification absent at your school? Increase parent awareness of truancy by keeping them informed with easy communication apps.
A recent Ministry of Education report showed that student attendance rates were falling across New Zealand. 76,500 students were away from school each day in 2016. That equates to 10.2 per cent of students, up from 9.9 per cent in 2015.
Truancy costs schools significant time and resources
For schools that don’t have an early notification system in place and have to follow up on absent students manually, this rise in unexplained absences will also require an increase in time and money spent locating these absent students. For example, a school with a roll of 1000 students with a 10.2 per cent truancy rate can cost the school $20,400 per year in time spent following up and making phone calls. You can see for yourself what this could equate to for your school by using this calculator.
As well as potential significant cost savings to your school by having an early notification attendance management system, there are many other benefits such as student safety and providing a quicker and more convenient method for parents to be aware and respond.
Benefits of Early Notification for parents and caregivers
- Fast notification of absence (which could potentially be a child safety issue).
- Parents and caregivers can respond quickly and cost effectively.
- It’s less embarrassing for them to respond to a text than a phone call if they had forgotten to notify the school of their child’s absence or the reason for the child’s absence is personal.
- Texting is more convenient for those who are unavailable to respond to personal calls during work or study hours.
- Feedback from our customers, says that texts are the preferred method of school communication for most parents and caregivers.
Benefits of Early Notification for Schools
- Less time spent by the Attendance Officer in contacting caregivers of absent students.
- Less expensive than calling mobile phones.
- Responses go directly into the Student Management System and are easily viewed by the Attendance Officer, making them efficient to process (service offered by some EN providers).
- Responses are saved in the Student Notes (service offered by some Student Management Systems).