Early Notification (EN) is the use of text and/or email messages to notify parents that their child is inexplicably absent from school.
Here are nine ways EN makes life easier for the school community:
Benefits of Early Notification for parents and caregivers
- Fast notification of absences (which could potentially be a child safety issue).
- Parents and caregivers can respond quickly and cost effectively.
- It’s less embarrassing for them to respond to a text than a phone call if they had forgotten to notify the school of their child’s absence or the reason for the child’s absence is personal.
- Texting is more convenient for those who are unavailable to respond to personal calls during work or study hours.
- Feedback from our customers, says that texts are the preferred method of school communication for most parents and caregivers.
Benefits of Early Notification for Schools
- Less time spent by the Attendance Officer in contacting caregivers of absent students.
- Less expensive than calling mobile phones.
- Responses go directly back into the Student Management System and are easily viewable by the Attendance Officer, making them efficient to process (service offered by some EN providers).
- Responses are saved in the Student Notes (service offered by some Student Management Systems).
To learn about more reasons New Zealand schools are using Early Notification and other attendance management strategies, attend the webinar in February.
Attendance management systems webinar details
Date: 18 February 2016
Time: 11:00am – 11:20am
Presenter: Andrew Balfour, Managing Director of School-links
Topic: Attendance Management systems in New Zealand schools
Audience: School Leaders, Executive Officers, Board of Trustee members
Register: Click here