The School-links Emergency Alerts App allows schools to quickly and easily contact parents, caregivers, students and staff in an emergency. This video shows you how to use the App.
This short video created by School-links demonstrates how to use the Emergency Alerts app on your iPhone or iPad.
Use the Emergency Alerts App to send text messages to staff, caregivers and students in minutes. You will then receive real-time delivery reports to enable you to identify parents who may need to be contacted by phone or email.
If you are unable to enter the school building or if the school network has taken a hit, you can use any smart device on the mobile network.
Examples of use include:
- school closures
- natural disasters
- alerting staff and students to a lockdown unobtrusively
Accessing the Emergency Alerts App
- Tap the ‘My Schools’ app icon on your iphone or ipad.
- Note: the first time you log in you will be asked for your username and password, but from then on you will just need your pin code.
- If you are linked to more than one school, you will see all the schools listed.
- Choose the appropriate school and select ‘Visit as Master User’ and your previous messages will display, if any.
How to type an alert
- Tap the ‘new message’ icon in the top right corner
- Type a message up to 160 characters.
- Include the school name or a recognised shortcode, preferably at the beginning of the message, so that parents have confidence about the source and can identify which child/school the message concerns.
- Note: in a critical emergency situation, you may not have time to review replies. We recommend that if you have characters available then add ‘Do Not Reply’ or similar.
- Click ‘Save’ to come back to the message later or click ‘Save and broadcast’ to send the message immediately.
How to send an alert
- First, select your target audience. You can select more than one. Tap again to de-select if you make a mistake. Note that you cannot drill down any further e.g. to year level – messages will simply be sent to everyone in this category.
- To send, tap ‘Broadcast’. You cannot stop the message after this point. If you do want to edit it before broadcasting, select back to ‘Alerts’ in the top left.
- Once you have tapped ‘broadcast’, you will see the message and the status will read ‘queued for broadcast’. After a few moments, if you refresh your screen by dragging it down the message status will say ‘broadcast’.
- If you have saved a message previously, it will show up in this list as a draft. You can tap on the message to edit it or broadcast it.
How to access the delivery report
- To access a delivery report, log in as previously and tap on the message.
- You will see how many were delivered successfully, how many failed and any replies, if you requested a reply. As before you can drag the screen down to refresh.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via our online support forum or free phone number.